The Bicol University College of Agriculture and Forestry (BUCAF) is a component academic unit of Bicol University (BU), the premier state university in Bicol, also recognized as among the top universities in the country. BUCAF was an independent school before it was made part of the Bicol University when it was created in 1969 by virtue of Republic Act No. 5521.
As an educational entity dealing with agriculture and forestry, BUCAF has the edge of experience and record of performance relative to its mandated functions of instruction, research, extension, and production. It started as Guinobatan Farm School in 1912. It became Guinobatan High School in 1927 and, later, Roxas Memorial Agriculture School in 1949. On June 21, 1969 it became a part of Bicol University as the Bicol University College of Agriculture. Finally, in 1991, with the offering of various courses in agriculture and the addition of forestry courses, it became the Bicol University College of Agriculture and Forestry, and has since been in the forefront of research, extension, and production.
Graduates of BUCAF find their way to varied types of economic pursuits and employment, occupying key positions both in government and private offices in the Bicol Region and even overseas. Quite a number are now or have been chief executives of local government units.
BUCAF is located in the Municipality of Guinobatan, Albay, with its main campus situated within the town proper, and with the Mauraro Campus in barangay Mauraro which is about 5 km away, along the Guinobatan-Jovellar road. Guinobatan is one of the 17 municipalities of Albay and is one of those that constitutes the immediate surrounding of the world-renowned Mayon Volcano. Guinobatan is traversed by the Maharlika Highway and is very near the city of Ligao and that of Legazpi where the provincial capitol and most of the regional offices of the national government are located.
A World-class university producing leaders and change-agents for social transformation and development.
"To give professional and technical training and provide advanced and specialized instruction in literature, philosophy, the sciences, and arts, besides providing for the promotion of scientific and technological researches" (RA 5521 Sec. 3).
Bicol University commits to continually strive for excellence in instruction, research, and extension by meeting the highest level of clientele satisfaction and adhering to quality standards.
In order that the graduates of Bicol University may be proud flag bearers of the quality of education the university stands for, the following goals shall be vigorously pursued:
1. Provide relevant and responsive curricular programs for undergraduate and graduate education which meet national and international standards of quality and excellence. The academic programs shall graduate employable citizens in their profession.
2. Generate and transfer knowledge and technology that shall address poverty in the region, integrating research and extension activities to improve the productivity of key economic sectors supportive of sustainable barangay, provincial, regional, and national economic development.
3. Optimize the resource-generation capacity of the university pursuing academe-based entrepreneurship anchored on the core competencies of the faculty and the vast land resources of the university alongside fund-sourcing through partnership-building and networking to support the delivery of quality instruction, research, and extension services as functions of the university.
4. Effect timely administrative and academic support services through simplification of processes and actualization of the highest degree of efficiency and effectiveness in the administrative system and operation, therefore, promoting the university's mandate of quality instruction, research, extension, and production, and
5. Provide a physical environment supportive of the instruction, research, extension, and production programs of the university.
1. Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
Major: Agricultural Science
2. Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Engineering
3. Bacheor of Science in Agribusiness
4. Bachelor of Science in Forestry
5. Bachelor in Agricultural Technology
Major: Agricultural Technology Education
1. MS Agriculture
Major in Animal Science
Major in Crop Science
2. Master in Rural Development