Republic Act No. 5521, approved on June 21, 1969, gave Bicol University corporate existence. Although the law took effect upon its approval, the formal organization and establishment was on September 22, 1970, by virtue of Resolution No. 1 of the Board of Regents. Section 2 of the aforementioned law provides for the conversion of the Bicol Regional School of Arts and Trades of Legazpi City into the College of Engineering and School of Arts and Trades. It officially started operations in 1970 with two programs offered, the BS in Civil Engineering and the BS in Mechanical Engineering. In 1976, the College offered BS in Electrical Engineering. Two years later, it offered BS in Architecture. By virtue of Board Resolution No.41, series 1995 approved in December 22, 1995, the College of Engineering was separated from the School of Arts and Trades, the latter becoming the College of Industrial Technology. In June 2000 the College offered BS in Chemical Engineering and BS in Geothermal Engineering. In 2008, the BS Mining Engineering has been offered. Likewise, the Diploma in Architecture had its first ten enrollees during the SY 2008-2009 while the Diploma in Energy Technology , approved in 2008 by the Board of Regents, has yet to be opened for enrollment. The Master of Science in Architecture was later offered in 2010. Since 1974, when its pioneer graduates topped the board examinations, up to the present, the College had produced more than a hundred board placers in various licensure examination in engineering and architecture.
"To primarily give professional and technical training and provide advanced and specialized instruction in Engineering and provide for the promotion of scientific and technological researches."
- To produce professionals in engineering, in the region with managerial capability through improved instruction and relevant experiences.
- To embark on relevant new programs.
- To intensity the development of moral spiritual, social, intellectual and physical well-being of the students.
- To improve the competency of teaching Engineering and Architecture in the Region through utilization of innovative methods and the development and production of instructional materials.
- To increase the financial capability of the college through institutionalized income-generating projects.
INFRASTRACTURE DEVELOPMENT MAINTENANCE
- To realize the infrastructure development in the University and modernize classrooms and other instructional facilities and make it a work of art in engineering and architecture.
- To properly maintain the existing facilities and make it a work of art in engineering and architecture.
- To enhance the output of the college through the acquisition of sufficient facilities and equipment.
- To enhance the quality of services through the development of knowledge, skills, and values of human resources.