College of Industrial Technology (CIT) is one of the sixteen colleges of Bicol University. It is situated at the East Campus with the College of Engineering and the Institute of Architecture. It is 2,484.44 feet away from the Bicol university main campus (shown in the picture below). BUCIT, as an educational institution has been serving the Bicolanos and a number of students from neighboring regions for more than one hundred years. With this remarkable period of time in service, many important events has brought color to its history.
The Bicol University College of Industrial Technology (formerly Bicol University School of Arts and Trades) became a college by virtue of Board Resolution Number 41, series of 1995. It started in 1901 as an Industrial Arts Department of the Albay Elementary School. Later it was absorbed as a Vocational Department of Albay High School under the supervision of the principal. In 1911, this Vocational Department was abolished and converted to Albay Trade School offering courses in the elementary level. It was that time when the department undertook intensive and extensive activities in the promotion of vocational education although grades five and six and seven were established years back.
Immediately after the approval of the Act. No. 3377 in the Philippine Legislature on December 3, 1927, the Bureau of Education exerted efforts towards implementing this act by establishing a Trade School, which came into existence through the gradual offering of courses in the secondary level.
By virtue of R.A. 1129, the Albay Trade School was converted to Bicol Regional School of Arts and Trades under the supervision of the Bureau of Vocational Education. The school became a landmark, which sprang in the process of growth of vocational education in the Philippines.
R.A. 5521 created the Bicol University, and the Bicol Regional School of Arts and Trades became the School of Arts and Trades under the College of Engineering. Later, the Administrative Order No. 6 s. 1978, made the school autonomous and an independent unit from the College of Engineering. The college was accredited Level II by the AACCUP on November 18, 1998.
In April 1999, the President of the Bicol University changed the head of the college from a director to Dean with one non-degree program and a laboratory school headed by the principal and six-degree programs namely: BS in Industrial Education, BS in Food Technology, BSED Technology and Home Economics. It also offered graduate courses leading to the Degree of Master of Arts in Industrial Education and Master of Arts in Teaching Technology.
As of now, BUCIT is still on its struggle to continually serve the Bicolanos at its best. From four degree offerings, it has now nine degrees being offered, wherein one is a board course, seven non-board degree program and one for masters’ degree. The administration is continually striving for the AACCUP leveling and ISO accreditation to improve the quality of education being catered by the institution. (Mazanillo, Emerson L.)