Tabaco Campus
Home > Tabaco Campus > About Us
About Us

History

Bicol University Tabaco Campus(BUTC) traces its humble beginnings to Bicol School of Fisheries (BSF) in Tabaco, Albay, as founded in 1949 by the virtue of Republic Act No. 412, to offer Secondary Fishery Education to the Bicol Region.

On June 22, 1963 pursuant to Republic Act No. 3651, it became the Bicol College of Fisheries. However, the opening of collegiate courses were deffered due to financial constraints. On September 22, 1969 by virtue of Republic Act No. 522, the college was incorported with the first state university in the Bicol Region, the Bicol University. It then became the College of Fisheries of the newly instituted university. Consequently, the College started offering baccalaureate degree in Fisheries in addition to diploma courses.

Where it all began...

Bicol University Tabaco Campus(BUTC) traces its humble beginnings to Bicol School of Fisheries (BSF) in Tabaco, Albay, as founded in 1949 by the virtue of Republic Act No. 412, to offer Secondary Fishery Education to the Bicol Region.

Consonant with the trilogy functions mandated to educational institutions of higher learning, the Bicol University College of Fisheries(BUCF) expanded its program in research and extension. To meet the challenges of this new mandate, a massive staff development program was vigorously pursued. The performance and potential shown by the college in the field of research, led to its subsequent identification as the Regional Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resources, Research and Development Network.

In 1981, one of the seven (7) Regional Institute of Fisheries Technology(RIFT) under the World Bank, 6th Educational Loan was established at Bicol University College of Fisheries. Responding to the request of the constituents of the First District of Albay to greater access to education, the Bicol University College of Fisheries(BUCF) became Bicol University Tabaco Campus(BUTC) on November 1994 by virtue of the Board of Regents Resolution No. 28, series of 1994, allowing the unit to offer courses aside from Fisheries. Therefore, while still servicing the field (Fisheries) it was originally established for, it is now committed to the multi-disciplinary development needs to the region.