As the premier state university in the Bicol Region, the Bicol University (BU) is mandated to perform the four-fold functions of instruction, research, extension, and production. To operationalize its research function, the BU Research and Statistics Center (BURSC) was created on January 1, 1977. Its mandates are to initiate, undertake, coordinate and integrate the research efforts of the University in relation to the national and regional development goals. The R & D thrusts of the Bicol University are focused on the priority commodity/areas set by the national/regional research agencies and that of the University. Outside of these assigned priorities are institutional researches being undertaken by the University faculty and personnel. The Center also maintains a databank of relevant information supportive to administration and management of the University. By virtue of BOR Resolution No. 30, series of 2002, the BURSC was renamed to the BU Research and Development Center (BURDC), giving direct emphasis to the important role and contribution of BU to the regional and national development through leading edge, innovative, and responsive researches. The function of the Center is research administration and management while research implementation is lodged in the college/unit.
Mission and Vision
“BU’s R&D; mission is to contribute to the generation, enhancement, and transfer of technology in support to the development of the Bicol University and to the uplifting of the socioeconomic condition of the Bicol Region.”
“A university that is imbued with a dynamic, relevant, and aresponsive research culture dedicated towards the generation and dissemination of information and technology that address, institutional, regional, and national development needs.”
(a) Enhance the R&D; capability of the BU faculty through the institutionalization of training courses;
(b) Provide a conducive policy environment is the university that will stimulate and/or enhance the research interest of the faculty;
(c) Put in place dynamic R&D; programs and projects that are reflective of and responsive to institutional, regional, and national development thrusts and priorities; and
(d) Facilitate the dissemination and commercialization of research results and mature technologies.
Objectives and Targets
- To package and conduct at least one training every quarter to enhance the R&D; capability of BU personnel.
- To review and formulate policies that will provide the conducive working environments for increased research output of the University.
- To put in a place a revitalized support structure responsive to the R&D; activities of the colleges.
- To develop a core of faculty-researchers along Bicol’s priority commodities and disciplines.
- To package and conduct R&D; activities that are responsive to certain institutional, regional, and national development concerns.
- To showcase mature technologies for dissemination and commercialization.