BU Regional Center for Food Safety and Quality Assurance
A leading provider for food safety and quality assurance research, laboratory services, and training in the country with fully equipped laboratories, manned by properly trained technical staff dedicated in producing high quality and reliable biochemical data compliant with regulatory standards.
Undertake research to produce innovative technologies; build market confidence on local food products for exports thru provision of high-end laboratory services; and build a pool of science experts by training academic and science personnel.
Initiate in the creation of a collaborative research program participated by different HEIs and agencies for the improvement of local food products;
Serve as University's showcase of laboratory facilities and provide services for researchers, students and food related SMEs and other industry partners;
Provide food safety related training, workshop and seminar for interested individuals and institutions; and
Produce revenues to sustain its operation as laboratory service provider in the region.
The Center aims that the local products of the region and nearby provinces reach the world market. This can be done by building market confidence of the goods for export and creating innovative technologies that are commercially viable. The Center functions as a research, training/teaching, and laboratory service facility. With these three functions, it will ascertain a place for the local products to the international scene.
a. Research Facility
The center is primarily a research facility aimed to implement and assist high impact researches geared towards alleviating poverty and improving the region's competitiveness. It should provide local industry innovative technology and needed scientific information of the raw materials, ingredients, processes, and the finished products.
Along with other research centers, the center conducts research on creating innovative technology and improvement of local food products for international market. In addition, the center actively participates and supports the BU innovation ecosystem for both equipment and non-equipment patent technology output. The center submits proposals for funding as well as accepts commissioned work or work in coordination with other agencies in scientific investigations.
b. Laboratory Service Facility
Located at the central section of Higher Education Regional Research Center (HERRC) building are seven (7) laboratory rooms that shall provide technical services to the analyses of but not limited to food safety and quality assurance:
Lab 1: Analytical Laboratory
Lab 2: General Preparation Room
Lab 3: Preparation Room
Lab 4: Microbiology Laboratory
Lab 5: Molecular Biology Laboratory
Lab 6: Toxicological Laboratory
Lab 7: Animal House
The center uses standard methods of analyses to ensure quality in the results generated and follows standard operating procedures to provide safe and secure working environment. It also continuously improve its services thru participation in proficiency testing, inter-laboratory calibration, and method validations for both procedures/ processes and instrument use.
c. Training Facility
As a training facility, the Center provides food-safety related trainings, workshops and seminars for interested individuals and institutions. These trainings is participated by food industry representatives (SMEs), faculty researchers and students. These undertakings promote collaborations that address issues and concerns on food safety and quality enhancement of Bicol food products. This in turn enhances the capability of the Center as a research, laboratory service and training facility while responding to the needs towards food safety and quality assurance of Bicol products.
The Seven Guiding Principles of RCFSQA
- The Center shall uphold the core values of the University, that is, scholarship, leadership, service and character, in performing its mandates;
- The Center shall support research endeavours of the university and the community by providing adequate laboratory services compliant to regulatory standards;
- The center shall deliver high- quality food laboratory testing services, expert interpretation, and efficient results reporting to effectively support food manufacturing industries;
- The center is dedicated to continuous quality improvement in our services and is committed to the highest levels of testing proficiency and standardization;
- The center believes in trust, respect, and honesty, placing high value on accessibility, collaboration, open communication, clear decision making, and individual accountability;
- The center shall provide safe and secure working environment not only as an obligation to meet regulatory standards but a commitment to protect personnel, the community and the environment; and
- The center shall adhere to the principles and guidelines of the University in performing its mandates in research and extension.