BU-OVPRDE holds regional research and extension conferenceMonday November 15,2021
To disseminate the research, development, and extension (RD&E) results of researchers and extensionists from Bicol University (BU) and other higher educational institutions in the region, the Office of the Vice President for Research, Development, and Extension held an online conference on October 26-27.
The event was called the 7th Regional Conference on promoting World-class Education; 4th Regional Research, Development and Extension Conference; and 33rd BU In-House Review of Completed RD&E Research.
The conference featured plenary talks from academicians, parallel presentation of RD&E papers, open fora, and poster presentations.
The parallel sessions included six thematic areas that comprise the research thrusts of BU. These were Environment and Natural Resource Systems Management and Development; Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction; Socio-Economics, Culture, and Governance; Health Systems Management and Development; Inclusive Education and Lifelong Learning; and Food & Nutrition Security and Poverty Reduction.
The plenary speakers were Dr. Von Anthony G. Torio of the De La Salle University, Manila; Dr. Nida H. Garcia of the Philippine School Doha, Qatar; and Dr. Rogelio I. Espiritu of the University of the East, Manila. Dr. Freddie T. Bernal, regional director of the Commission on Higher Education delivered the keynote address.
A total of 70 papers were presented during the parallel sessions. Of this number, 46 were competing while 18 were non-competing. There were also 6 posters shown.
At the end of the conference, the best papers were declared for each thematic area. These were:
- Environment and Natural Resource System Management and Development (tie): Status of Corals and Reef-Fish Assemblage of the Marine Conservation Park of Donsol, Sorsogon, Philippines (Researchers: Ronnel R. Dioneda, Romeo Asejo, Raul Burce, Caryl A. Dioneda); and Phylogenetic Diversity and Host Specificity of Culturable Fungal Foliar Endophytes in Mangrove Species Across Bicol Region, Philippines (Researchers: Jonathan Jaime G. Guerrero Marianne Yssabelle Ll. Sabdao, Jocelyn E. Serrano, Ma. Jesseca M. Bombita, Eliza Joyce M. Perillo, Mheljor A. General)
- Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction: Bio-Ecological Status of Major Rivers of Donsol Sorsogon: Inputs for Integrated Coastal Area Management for Sustainable Whale Shark Ecotourism (Researchers: Ronnel R. Dioneda Sr., Janette N. Ariola, Eunice A. Dioneda, Andrea Pimental-Paz, Raul B. Burce
- Socio-Economics, Culture, and Governance: Community-Based Language Development of Central Bikol (Researchers: Ryan G. dela Torre, Aries S. Perez)
- Health Systems Management and Development: Responsiveness of Graduate Nursing Research Outputs to Global Development Goals from 2000-2019 (Researcher: Ma. Elma Mirandilla)
- Inclusive Education and Lifelong Learning: Analysis of Flexible Pedagogy Towards a Framework During Educational Disruption (Researcher: Rebecca Rosario O. Bercasio)
- Food & Nutrition Security and Poverty Reduction: Prevalance of Phytophthora colocasiae and Phenol Content Among the Taro (Colocasia esulenta) varieties in Guinobatan and Camalig, Albay, Philippines (Researchers: Jonathan Jaime G. Guerrero, Eliza Joyce M. Perillo, Jazzlyn T. Imperial, Joan N. Mallorca, Jocelyn E. Serrano, Ma. Jessica M. Bombita)
Meanwhile, the winner in the poster presentation was Community-Based Language Development of Bikol-Albay by Benita Balla-Hugo and Gayle Ann Bahia-Abrigo.
The full list of winners may be accessed at https://web.facebook.com/BicolUniversity/photos/pcb.4988326717862016/4988324421195579/.
All winners shall be given cash prizes. (written by: Gremil Alessandro Alcazar Naz)